Swingin' Into Christmas 2012
|Swingin' Into Christmas 2012|
|Lighting Designer||Grant Anderson|
|Sound Engineer||Blair Omond|
|Venue||Stevenson Concert Hall|
|Performance Dates||12th - 14th December 2012|
Stage Manager - Samantha Burt
Technical Stage Manager - Jennifer Howes
Deputy Technical Stage Manager - Melissa MacDonald
Production Electrician - Ben Terry
Lighting Operator - Sean Hind
"This show was challenging! It was completely different from operating a conventional theatre show. The design was obviously more extravagant as it was a proper musical show. There were 170 cues or thereabouts. We only had one rehearsal before the opening night so I really had to be on the ball. The cues were quite snappy and in time with the music... there were a lot of buttons. I got better and better and by the last show I made 0 mistakes. I was pretty chuffed becasue it was relatively difficult to operate compared to other shows I've done. Working on Swingin' is always fun. It's a good show to end the year on".
We used an ETC Gio Console for this show.
Sound No 1 - Blair Omond
Sound No 2 - Sam Cunningham
Production Arts & Design Crew - Victoria Blackaby, Carolyn Clark, Clara Fink, Connor Gallagher, Robert Gear, Iona Gray, Carola Gudim, Lauren Keanie, Zoe Kemp, Kenneth MacLeod, Evonne MacRitchie, Kerry McAreavey, Jade McNaughton, Nathalie Page, Sophie Prior, Kirstin Rodger, Lisa Speirs
Sound No.1 - Blair Omond
Sound No.2 - Sam Cunningham
Sound Department Kit List
- Yamaha LS9 (32 Channel) - Yamaha SB168 - ES Stage Box (SR Edge of Rostra) - Macbook Pro with USB to XLR Sound Card for CD Playback - Pre, Interval and Post Show Music
Speakers and Amps
- 4x d&b Ci 60 Mid Tops - Permanent Venue Rig - 4x d&b E3 Fills - Permanent Venue Rig - 2x d&b C7 Subs - Permanent Venue Rig (1x Stage Left and 1x Stage Right) - 4x d&b Max 15 Wedges (2x Centre Stage (Paired), 1x Stage Left and 1x Stage Right (Paired) - 2x d&b M4 Wedges (1x Centre Stage Left on Rostra, 1x Stage Right Rostra) - 8x d&b E-PAC 2 Power Amps - Permanent Venue Hard Wired System - 1x d&b D12 Power Amp - Permanent Venue Hard Wired System - 1x d&b D6 Power Amp - SR Edge of Rostra, Powered 2x M4 Wedges - 2x Crown K2 Amps - SR Edge of Rostra, Powered 2x Max 15 Wedges Left and 2x Max 15 Wedges Right
- 6x Shure UR1M Packs - 11x Shure UR1 Packs - 16x DPA 4066 Pink Headsets - 1x DPA 4066 Black Headset - 6x Shure UR2 Handhelds (Beta 87 Capsules) - 12x Shure UR4D Dual Receivers
Microphones / DI Boxes
- 3x DI Boxes (Double Bass / Electric Bass, On Stage Electro Acoustic Guitar, On Stage Double Bass) - 6x AKG SE 300's (Piano Low, Piano High, Brass Left, Brass Right, Kit Overhead Left, Kit Overhead Right) - 2x Shure Beta 57's (Percussion Left and Percussion Right) - 1x Sennheiser E906 (Guitar Amp) - 1x Shure Beta 87 (Piano Vocals) - 1x Shure Beta 52A (Kick Drum) - 3x Sennheiser E604's (Rack, Floor Tom, Snare Top) - 2x Shure SM57's (Snare Bottom, High Hat)
Microphone Stands / Cabling
- 11x Boom Mic Stands - 2x Short Mic Stands - 6x Round Base Mic Stands - 6x 1/4" Jack Cables - 6x 3M XLR Cables - 16x 5M XLR Cables - 10x 10M XLR Cables
RCS Big Band and MT MA Musical Directors
- Grand Piano - Drum Kit - Bass Guitar - Double Bass - Acoustic Guitar - Electric Guitar - Percussion Section - Brass Section
Plotting and Operating
As this was more of a live and fluid show I only semi plotted scenes into the desk for this show. I plotted loose scenes which chnaged between numbers and performers but when it came to individual levels for performers and solo changes throughout numbers I did this all manually and mixed it all continuously as I went.
With the concert hall being an acoustically designed venue, putting amplification of this scale in this venue is a particular challenge. Ringing out frequencies was quite a challenge on this show as we found after ringing out and removing frequences for radio mics we found that we had almost entirely removed the whole middle end of the frequency band. Something we obviously couldn't have as it's the most important part of the band. We had to just try our best and ride the levels very carefully on the system.